With both relief and trepidation parents send their children back to school each fall—grateful for the return of routine and fewer child-care hassles. On the other hand, parents will have concerns about their children’s health and safety. Teach your kids basic school bus safety. These tips can help protect them to and from school.
School Bus Safety Tips
- Dress your children in bright colors—drivers can see them better
- Instruct them to walk, not run to the bus stop
- Walk with younger children and have older kids walk with a group
- Stay on the sidewalk and cross the street carefully at the corner
- No rough-housing at the bus stop—pushing and shoving is dangerous near traffic
- Have the child stand 5 giant steps away from the curb while waiting for the bus.
Teach children to secure their jackets, scarves, etc., so that they don’t get caught in the handrail or in the bus door.
Meet young children on the corner where they will be dropped off—so they don’t run across the street to you.
For more safety tips on this subject go online to www.NCBUSSAFETY.org